Insurance Questions & Answers Seattle

Below you will find some of our most frequently asked questions about passing the insurance exam, becoming a producer, and general industry questions. If you have a question that isn’t answered below, please feel free to email us and we would be glad to find an answer for you.

Initial Licensing Process

What methods of payment do you accept?

If you register for class or order materials at our office we accept cash, company check, money order and cashier’s check, as well as Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover credit cards. No personal checks are accepted.

If you register for class or order materials through our Web site, we use as our credit card processor and they will accept all major credit or debit cards as well as Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover credit cards. If you would like to pay directly out of your bank account, to expedite your registration/order, please pay with your credit or debit card instead.

Do I have to get fingerprinted to become licensed in Washington?

One fingerprint card is required to be on file with the Insurance Commissioner to become licensed as a Producer in WA state. You may schedule your fingerprint service for the same time as you take your exam or for a later time with Identogo. Identogo does efingerprints and submits them electronically to the state patrol for you. Fingerprint reservations must be scheduled online through or by phone at (888) 771-5097. You must pay for the service ahead of time with a credit card when you make your appointment. You pay them $55.00 for the fingerprint card and for electronically filing it with the state patrol ($15.00 to $25.00 fingerprint charge plus $30.00 to $40.00 processing fee). The service can be done at the time you take your exam or at a later date.

How many questions are on the state exams and how much do they cost?

Single Line Exams are:

Life Producer, Disability Producer, Property Producer, Casualty Producer, or Personal Lines Producer.

The state exam for each single line of insurance consists of a total of 110 questions, 10 of which are experimental questions and will be non score-able. The cost for a single line exam is $49.00 and you have 150 minutes to complete it.

Combination Exams are:

Property and Casualty Producer or Life and Disability Producer exams each have a total of 160 questions, 10 of which are experimental and will be non score-able. The cost for a combination exam is $66.00 and you will have 195 minutes to complete it.

Do you ever turn students away because a class reaches capacity?

We can always make accommodations for additional attending students. We have a large classroom so we always accept students into our classes, even walk-in students on the first day of class. Please choose whichever class combination will work best with your schedule.

What if I need to cancel a class I am registered for?

If you have registered and paid for a class and wish to cancel before the start date of your scheduled class, please send us an email or call our office. There is a $25 cancellation fee that will be subtracted from your refund amount. You will not be eligible for any refund if you cancel after the class has started.

Does Slater All Lines Insurance School ever cancel classes?

In the rare case that we have to cancel a class due to inclement weather or a power outage, we will post notification on our Web site and answering machine. If the weather does not permit you to drive to our School safely and class is still being held, please email to reschedule your class or to sign up for self-study makeup.

Does Slater All Lines Insurance School have a job board?

We do not have a job board. Our school is focused on teaching students about the material that will be on their state exams and we do not want other students or companies influencing or recruiting during this learning process. Slater All Lines Insurance School has a strict no-recruiting policy, as many employers have spent time and money sending students to our school for exam preparation education. We are not responsible for any recruiting attempts that happen outside of our classroom or office, or are offered by other students. Most students attending our school already have a company that they are hired by or working with. However, we do occasionally see students who take the initiative to attend class before looking for a job. Therefore, in our office, we have a job folder with company business cards and help-wanted fliers that companies have sent us, and we are happy to give these to students who come to us and ask.

If you are an employer who is hiring, please email, fax or mail us business cards or a job posting and we will gladly give these out to any student looking for employment.

If you are a student who does not yet have a job in the insurance industry, you may come into our office and we will give you business cards and job postings from insurance companies that are hiring. There are many online resources to help you find insurance jobs, such as Monster, Craigslist and Seattle Times. If you have a specific company that you want to work for, we recommend visiting that company’s Web site for the most up-to-date job postings.

I have an out-of-state insurance license that I am transferring to Washington State. What should I do?

The following items are required and can be obtained by clicking here:

1. NAIC Uniform Application
2. Fingerprint card
3. Letter of Clearance from current state’s insurance department
4. Fees: $55 for license, $20 for a fingerprint card, $32.50 for fingerprint processing, $5 filing fee
5. INS -18 Company Appointment/Affiliation form with $20 for each (unless submitted by the insurer thru NIPR)

I have taken the insurance classes and passed my state exams but I am still looking for a job. How long do I have before my PSI exam pass sheets expire?

Once you pass your Washington state insurance exams, you have 180 days (six months) from the date you pass your exams to apply for your insurance license. If you have lost or misplaced your original test sheets from PSI, please contact them directly for replacement. If you do not send in for your insurance license within the 180-day window, please look at your class completion certificates from us to see how much longer you have to retake the state exams before you also have to repeat the insurance classes with us.

How long are my insurance class completion certificates valid to take the state exam?

The class completion certificates we issue you are valid for 12 months from the completion date of your class, as stated at the bottom of each completion certificate. These certificates act as your entrance ticket into the state exam and you have 12 months until they expire. If you have lost or misplaced your original class completion certificates, we can reissue you new originals at a $10-per-certificate charge. If your certificates have expired and you have not passed your exams, by state law you must clock in the required study hours again.

Do I need to be hired by an insurance company before I can get my insurance license?

You can apply for your Washington insurance license(s) without having a company appointment. However, you cannot sell insurance/transact business until you are appointed/affiliated with a company as an agent.

When do you need an insurance license?


  • Urging or advising prospective purchasers to buy a policy or insure with a company.
  • Initiating sales over the telephone or any way other than a face-to-face attempt to solicit or sell insurance, such as Internet, social media or advertisements.


  • Disseminating information about coverages in general, or for any particular policy, except that this shall not prohibit the dissemination of buyers’ guides or applications for coverage in response to requests from prospective policyholders.
  • Disseminating information as to rates in general or for any particular policy where the rate cannot be secured by referring to a published or printed list of standard rates.
  • Completing or signing applications for insurance.
  • Making or proposing to make an insurance contract.
  • Authorizing the issuance or delivery of certificates of insurance, endorsements, binders or insurance policies.


  • Discussing or describing the coverages or terms of a proposed contract of insurance with a prospective policyholder, including counseling about which coverages to buy.
  • Discussing the effect of age, health or other risk-related conditions of the prospective policyholder.
  • Collecting premiums in person at other than a recorded place of business.
  • Responding to a policyholder’s request for advice or counsel regarding policy provisions or coverage.
  • Initiating an inquiry about the terms of existing coverage, except exclusively in the course of the clerical duties.
  • Recommending or independently initiating additions or deletions to an insured’s policy.

Do you offer Securites classes?

We don’t do securities, but we’ve worked for years with someone who does. If you’re going for your series 6 and 63, or a few others, here’s a place you can get them!

Frank DuBree’s Professional Training Center

Insurance Exam Testing

Where do I take my insurance test? The closest locations to the school are the 4 listed, for other locations please see the candidate handbook at:, specify government/State Licensing Agency, WA, Insurance, candidate handbook


4122 Factoria Blvd. S.E. Suite 303
Bellevue, WA 98006

  • From I-405 – Exit 10 for Coal Creek Parkway towards Factoria.
  • Turn left onto 128th Ave SE/Factoria Blvd SE. The test center will be on the right.
  • From 1-90 E – Take Exit 10B. Turn Right onto 128th Ave SE/Factoria Blvd SE.
  • Make a U-turn at SE 41st Pl. The test center will be on the right.
  • From I-90 W – Take Exit 10 to I-405 S. Follow directions for I-405.

Federal Way (Seattle)

500 South 336th St., Suite 220
Federal Way, WA 98003

  • From I-5 to 320th street. Turn left on International (Pacific Way) (99).
  • Turn right on 336th and pull in the 500 building parking lot.


18810 59th Dr. NE, Bldg. 44A
Arlington, WA 98223

  1. From Interstate 5 take the WA-531/172nd St NE exit, exit 206.
  2. Go East on 172nd St NE. Turn left on 59th Ave NE.
  3. Turn left on 188th St NE. The test site will be straight ahead.
  4. It is a 2 story grey building that says Arlington Flight Services on it.


1010 S.E. Everett Mall Way, Suite 208
Everett, WA 98208

North on I-5, take Exit 189 (WA-526 W/WA-527 N to Mukilteo/Whidbey Is. Ferry/Broadway/Everett Mall Way).

  1. Bear right to WA-526 W / WA-527 N.
  2. You will see a sign reading “WA-527 N to Broadway/Everett Mall Way”.
  3. At light, turn left on Bothell-Everett Hwy (SR-527) and go north for 0.5 mile to light at Broadway – get into left turn lane.
  4. Turn left onto Broadway which then becomes SE Everett Mall Way.
  5. Go approx. 0.8; just past light at West Mall Dr get into middle left/right turn lane and turn left immediately before the Chevron gas station.
  6. Proceed down lane approx. one block to 1010 behind the gas station.

South on I-5, take Exit 189 WA-526 W to Mukilteo/Whidbey Is.

  1. Ferry/Everett Mall Way – keep to the left.
  2. You will see a sign reading “To Everett Mall Way”.
  3. Take ramp to right to light at Everett Mall Way.
  4. Proceed through light onto SE Everett Mall Way (stay in left lane).
  5. Go approx. 0.8; just past light at West Mall Dr get into middle left/right turn lane and turn left immediately before the Chevron gas station.
  6. Proceed down lane approx. one block to 1010 behind the gas station.

What is the Candidate Information Bulletin for my test?

This is the booklet from the exam provider detailing what is needed to take an exam, exam locations, times, costs, etc. Listed below the candidate handbook on are the content outlines for each exam. Each content outline is a separate download. Please use the links below to download the most current Candidate Information Bulletin from PSI.

Look for this image in the top right hand corner –

Combo Exams

  1. Life and Disability Producer
  2. Property and Casualty Producer

Single Line Exams

  1. Life Producer
  2. Casualty Producer
  3. Disability Producer
  4. Property Producer
  5. Credit
  6. Surety
  7. Personal Lines

Online Classroom & Self Study

I just ordered the self-study package. When will I receive an email with my login password for the Online Classroom?

For self-study orders placed before August 27, 2017: Within one business day of receiving your order we will email you with directions and a password for logging onto our Online Classroom. If you added a textbook to your order, it will be mailed out to you no later than the end of the next business day, which are Monday through Friday.

If you have any questions about our self-study program, please read through our policies and procedures.

Once you receive your login info, you many login to the Slater Online Classroom by clicking on the “Class Login” button in the top-right corner of this site, or you may click on this link.

For self-study orders placed after August 27, 2017: As soon as you complete your purchase, you will receive two emails. One is a receipt and one is titled, Your Account on Slater All Lines Insurance School. The ‘Account’ email will contain a link to the online classroom, along with your username and temporary password. Once you log into the online classroom, you can change your password under My Account (top-right)>Account Details (left side navigation). If you added a textbook to your order, it will be mailed out to you no later than the end of the next business day, which are Monday through Friday.

Will the Online Classroom keep track of my Self Study hours for me?

For self-study orders placed before August 27, 2017:  The original version of our Online Classroom only tracks the time you spend testing, and is only viewable by the user. Our system cannot keep track of your time spent studying online or offline, outside of the practice exams. You must keep track of your own hours on the timesheet we provided, then send us in your timesheet so that we can issue you a certificate of completion. We suggest writing down a starting and ending time. Lost your timesheet? Get another one here.

For self-study orders placed after August 27, 2017:  The new version of our Online Classroom keeps track of your study time, whether reading the textbook tutorials or taking practice exams, as long as you are logged into your account. Your total study time is shown to you on every page, and once you have reached the required study hours for your course, you can then prompt a certificate of completion to be generated. Your certificate is available immediately to save and print.

How many hours of studying do I need to get my Pre-License Certificate?

At least twenty (20) hours of recorded studying time is required per individual line of insurance, with the lines being Life, Disability (Health), Property, and Casualty.

We strongly recommend studying more than 20 hours per line before going in for the actual state exam. We also recommend using our Online Classroom practice quizzes until you score at least 90% on every test, each time you take it, before taking the state exam. This can greatly increase your chances of passing.

Continuing Insurance Education

How do I renew my license with the State?

The only way to renew your Washington State insurance license is online. In order to renew a license in WA State, 24 hours of Continuing Education including 3 hours of ethics are required to be completed. For more information please visit

It is time for me to renew my insurance license but I cannot remember what courses I took for my last renewal. What do I do?

You can now repeat the same course numbers that you received credit for during your last renewal. You will find each course number listed on your continuing education completion certificate.

I know there is a 3-hour Ethics requirement to renew my insurance license but do I need to take an actual Ethics course to fulfill this requirement?

We have a continuing education course that has been assigned the required 3 hours of Ethics content, and if you choose this course, you do not need to take a separate Ethics course. If however you do not take this course with the combined 3 hours of Ethics content, you will need to take a separate Ethics course. We have several Ethics courses available that will help you fulfill this 3 hour requirement.

Long-Term Care Certification

Can I retake the Initial 8-hour course to renew an existing LTC certification, or do I have to take the 4-hour Refresher course?

The WA LTC 4 Hour Refresher course is the one you need for your renewal. You may order the WA LTC 4-hour Refresher Course by itself or as part of your 24 hours of continuing education.

Can I purchase the 8-hour LTC course from you?

As of April 1, 2013, we will no longer be offering the initial 8-hour LTC course. We may have the course available in a couple of years.